Bhadrakali Temple in Warangal, Telangana is known to be one of the oldest temples for Goddess Bhadrakali in India. This temple is located on the banks of the Bhadrakali Lake, an attractive location between Hanamkonda and Warangal.
As per the writings on the temple wall this temple is believed to be constructed by the King Pulakesi II of Chalukya dynasty around 625 A.D to commemorate his victory over Vengi region of Andhra Desham. This can be observed from the square pillars used in the temple structure which were different from the circular pillars commonly used in temples constructed by Kakatiyas.
The Kakatiya kings of "Orugallu Empire" which is the present Warangal town have adopted Goddess Bhadrakali as their "Kula Devatha" giving her preference over other gods. The lake was built later by Ganapathi Deva, a minister in Kakatiya Dynasty. A road leading to the temple was also added during that period.
The temple's main deity Goddess Bhadrakali's image is made in a 2.7x2.7 meters square stone facing west with pleasant looking eyes holding weapons in her eight hands with Shiva under her feet. Sri Chakram and 'Utsava Vigrahas' of Bhadrakali are placed in front of the main deity.
A statue of Lion, Bhadrakali's vahana on which she rides, is placed opposite the sanctum sanctorum. The temple also has a Dhwaja Sthambam and Balipeetham.
Some of the oldest deities in the Maha Mantapam along with Bhadrakali are Uma Maheshwara images on stone in front of Shiva Linga, Subramanya Swamy statue, Hanuman statue and Navagrahas all carved in stone.
The temple has been expanded in the 2000s with the addition of Alaya Shikaram, Maha Mantapam. Recently Sri Vallabha Ganapathi temple and temple parikrama have been added to the main temple.
The World famous Kohinoor Diamond was originally installed as one of the eyes of Warangal's Bhadra Kali. In 1323, the Kohinoor Diamond (Bhadra Kali's Eyes) were been stolen and passed on to various Kings throughout the History.In 1839, Punjab King Ranjith Singh donated the Kohinoor Diamond to Puri Jaganath Temple and from there the Diamond had been stolen for the Second time.